The benefit is that it looks nicer on the eyes in a GUI. I presume OP is
talking about the Racket installation you get off the Racket website, and
that installation is targeted at GUI users. I myself prefer the
command-line and I use Racket via Homebrew, so I never even come across
this issue.

Visual appeal is also why Lisp languages use the hyphen as a separator in
names, it looks nicer on the eye. The reason most languages use the
underscore is because the hyphen would be interpreted as the binary minus
operator. Fun fact: in his original Lisp paper McCarthy allowed for spaces
in symbols and used commas as separators, see page 9 of this PDF:
http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/recursive.pdf