I personally use GitLab over GitHub for various reasons, but for the
purpose of this topic they are both interchangeable. Git is a decentralized
system, so it doesn't really matter what you host it on, you could even
host the project on some potato connected to the internet using a piece of
wire.

There are basically two ways to view GitHub: as just a host for your code
and as a platform for managing your project. If you only want to use it as
a host it's no different from any other Git platform, but you are on your
own when it comes to managing issues, patches and so on. If you want to use
it to manage your project, then people who want to contribute will need a
GitHub account. This is generally not a problem since pretty much everyone
has one at this point, but keep in mind that the GitHub web interface does
require non-free JavaScript (GitLab does not have this issue, and you can
use your GitHub account with GitLab):
https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.html

Other than that the workflow is pretty smooth and I have no complaints. It
has some nice features like turning issue numbers into links, Markdown
syntax and so on.

Integration with the Racket package management is no issue either. The web
interface is aware of Git and works with any hosting service. I personally
prefer to have the source code in a sub-directory of the project rather
than in the root, and Racket supports this feature as well, like this:
https://gitlab.com/HiPhish/MsgPack.rkt
https://pkgs.racket-lang.org/package/msgpack

As for projects you don't want to publish, last time I checked you needed a
paid GitHub account for that. GitLab offers private repositories for free,
but it may be limited to a certain number and certain size, I don't know.