> On Feb 13, 2019, at 10:24 AM, Stephen De Gabrielle <spdegabrie...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>       • programmer (without compilers course)
>       • did compilers at degree level (can still remember it and it covered
> design decisions, as opposed to algorithms and data structures)
>       • Beautiful Racket and/or/ https://school.racket-lang.org/#brw
>       • Racket School 'How to design Languages'
> https://school.racket-lang.org/#htdl
>       • http://cs.brown.edu/courses/cs173/ , PLAI, PAPL or a postgraduate
> level (masters?)
>       • PhD and beyond
> ( I have no idea if the order I made up is right - and I don't remember the
> dragon book covering the HCI aspects of language design)
>
> I suppose if you are If you are at (1) and you need help you ask someone at
> (2) or above.

I don’t think this is a linear order. It’s more like a landscape with dots and
connections and hyper-edges and such. In particular,

— the PLAI course at Brown belongs into the “compiler” equivalence class,
— a PhD does not a good DSL designer or expert consultant (on this topic) make,
and
— the first bucket is way too coarse (some programmers have good “native” taste
for DSLs, others should never ever program).

And I understood that you were asking about experts who can do DSL x Domain
stuff. But NVD’s remark and my long-time observation of where PL research is
going triggered my rant. Sorry

— Matthias