On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 at 21:36, Matthias Felleisen <matth...@felleisen.org>
wrote:

> [...]
> I don’t think this is a linear order. It’s more like a landscape with dots
> and connections and hyper-edges and such. In particular,

Thanks. I feel like I need to do a ‘topic map’ (like my niece does in
school) to get my head around it.

> — the PLAI course at Brown belongs into the “compiler” equivalence class,

— a PhD does not a good DSL designer or expert consultant (on this topic)
> make,

— the first bucket is way too coarse

(some programmers have good “native” taste for DSLs, others should never
> ever program).

(I think I’m in the ‘should never ever program’ portion of that bucket)

And I understood that you were asking about experts who can do DSL x Domain
> stuff.

But NVD’s remark and my long-time observation of where PL research is going
> triggered my rant. Sorry

Don’t be sorry - I’m sure I’m not alone in appreciating how forthright you
and Neil and George and others are in sharing you experience and
perspective. Don’t stop.

- Stephen

— Matthias

----