> On Aug 23, 2019, at 6:24 AM, Sage Gerard <s...@sagegerard.com> wrote:
>
> Has someone tried to release an open source Racket project under a license
> that enforces paid commercial use of that project? Light Googling suggests
> this would be antithetical to the LGPL if not open source in general, but
> https://download.racket-lang.org/license.html
> <https://download.racket-lang.org/license.html> says "the Racket license does
> not restrict you at all."

I am a lawyer, and I remain mostly mystified about Racket's licensing / IP
ownership status since it joined Software Freedom Conservancy in June 2018.

In some cases, SFC takes ownership of trademarks and copyrights [1] which means
that in terms of license interpretation & enforcement, assumedly the buck would
now stop with them.

Did SFC do so in this case? No idea. Before the switch, Karen Sandler from SFC
circulated [2] a template agreement [3] but AFAIK the actual agreement that
Racket's core team signed, and the details thereof, has never been shared with
the community. (Can it? Should it? Not my call. Or did I miss it?)

Furthermore, the original SFC/Racket press release mentioned a "newly formed
Project Leadership Committee" [4] — there's never been any mention of who's on
this committee, or whether their responsibilities involve licensing.

Lingering elsewhere: the relicensing project that commenced more than 2.5 years
ago [5] — not clear whether under the SFC this effort is alive, dead, or what.
Of course, Galaxy's Edge took 3 yrs to build, so maybe I'm being unreasonably
impatient.

(BTW though I do not redistribute Racket, there's often a certain amount of
modified Racket code in packages I maintain, therefore the limitations on
Racket code also limit the licensing of my packages. Other things being equal
I'd rather use a license more liberal than the LGPL.)

[1] https://sfconservancy.org/about/ <https://sfconservancy.org/about/>
[2] https://groups.google.com/d/msg/racket-dev/QeYN6uZBWBc/qAbUb_mWBwAJ
[3] https://sfconservancy.org/projects/apply/ConservancyFSATemplate.pdf
<https://sfconservancy.org/projects/apply/ConservancyFSATemplate.pdf>