On Thursday, August 29, 2019 at 9:39:05 AM UTC+8, Alex Harsanyi wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 28, 2019 at 11:45:10 PM UTC+8, Joel Dueck wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday, August 28, 2019 at 12:10:56 AM UTC-5, Alex Harsanyi wrote:
>>>
>>> I am curious to know how you plan to comply with section 4.d of the
>>> LGPL, which states that the users of your application must be able to
>>> replace the LGPL "library" with a modified version of their own -- this
>>> means all the racket packages that you use in your application (even the
>>> ones shipped with Racket):
>>>

>> Excellent question. I don’t intend to comply with the LGPL.
>>

> I was really hoping that you actually had a solution to the problem I
> mentioned...
>
> The LGPL clarification on https://download.racket-lang.org/license.html
> states
> that we need to be able to re-link the software with modified versions of
> Racket.  I am not sure how to achieve that, so here are my technical
> questions, directed to anyone on this list who can answer them:
>
> 0) To simplify things, the same Racket version and OS can be used for both
>    "raco make" to produce the bytecode files as well as the "raco exe"
> part to
>    "link" the executable.
>
> 1) Given a set of ZO files compiled using "raco make", is it possible to
>    create an executable from these ZO files using "raco exe", or a call to
>    `create-embedded-executable`, without having access to the source files
>    themselves?  If it is possible, how?
>
> 2) Is it possible to distribute a Racket package as ZO files only and
> actually
>    be able to use it from Racket? If it is possible, how?

I did some investigations and it it turns out that the answer to both
questions is YES, one can create and distribute the bytecode for a package
or application and allow the user to link them with a, possibly modified,
Racket runtime.  The trick is to use "raco pkg create", which allows
creating binary only packages and works for regular applications too.
Since no one responded to my message, it seems this is not common
knowledge, so I wrote some notes about it, in case others find it useful:
https://alex-hhh.github.io/2019/09/racket-binary-packages.html

Alex.