Thanks! For the first task I think you probably have to use the raw
bitmap% object (since I guess you're using `read-bitmap`). I'm not
sure if there could be some improvement internally so that screen
bitmaps were used to read in the jpegs. Absent an improvement at that
level, I guess I'd just try caching the conversions.

For the second, I guess you are creating very small bitmaps so
probably this particular creation issue isn't affecting that part? If
you really have a lot of them, you could probably implement some
clever pooling that wasn't keeping all of the jpegs in actual bitmap%
objects all the time but was just keeping ones that were likely to be
looked at soon in bitmap% objects.

hth,
Robby