On Thursday, June 25, 2020 at 6:14:42 AM UTC+8, jos.koot wrote:

Questions and problem reports of users always are responded to very
> promptly.

It depends.  If the problem report starts with "racket crashes when I do
X", it will be fixed within 24 hours.  For everything else, not so much.  A
quick browse of the issues sections of the various packages in the Racket
organization will show that there are many issues reported a long time ago
which have no feedback.

While Stephens question in another thread is how we can encourage users to
submit fixes themselves, there is also a lack of response when it comes to
submitted pull requests.  You can browse the pull request section of
various projects and see for yourself, but here is an example:
https://github.com/racket/plot/pull/5 -- created in 2015, looks perfectly
good and reasonable change, yet there is no feedback from the Racket team
about this.  Why should this person ever attempt contribute again if she is
ignored?

For my part, I have some spare time which I could dedicate to helping out
the Racket project.  Given that my time is limited, I cannot pick up big
tasks, but I could help diagnose and fix bugs (and I have done so a few
times in the past).  However, my own experience is that, even if I submit a
pull request, I need to prompt the developers to look at it and provide
feedback, and it is unclear to me when I would cross the line and become
nagging.

I understand that the core Racket team is busy, but they are the only ones
who can clarify the criteria for merging a pull request and also only they
can review and merge them -- if they don't have time to do that, it is
useless to talk about user contributions.

Alex.