It looks like the problem might be in this function
<https://github.com/racket/scribble/blob/master/scribble-lib/scribble/html-render.rkt#L440-L459>

where it always constructs a path that is relative to (find-doc-dir).

Would it make sense instead to have it check the dest against all the paths
returned by (get-doc-search-dirs) and just use the first one that matches?
If so maybe I’ll try doing a pull request to that effect.

Sorry I’m tiptoeing here, I haven’t contributed to Scribble before.