Hi Greg,

The viewpoint, or ray origin, is different for each column of pixels in a
stereo ODS rendering. If you start with a viewpoint, and draw a circle with
diameter that is the distance between one's pupils, then the origin for
each ray should be at a point where the ray is tangent to the circle (on
the left side of the circle for left eye and right side for right eye).
It's explained & illustrated well here:
https://developers.google.com/vr/jump/rendering-ods-content.pdf

I don't see how clipping planes could be used to modify the ray origin, but
I could be wrong.

And this goes a ways back in the thread, but one instance where smaller
than 180° x 360° sized equirectangular views would be necessary is if a
user wanted to use rpiece to render the full view.

Best,
Andy