On 13 Aug 2006, at 01:20 , Cory D wrote:
I'm confused about such areas as why you would setup and use the production database on your local instance of radiant (doesn't this defeat the purpose of three database levels?) and why the database.yml instructions for mysql explain to use socket: instead of host: (ie. how could you test pointing to your production database on a local radiant instance with socket ?)

If you're not planning to do any development on the Radiant itself but just want to use it to build a site then I'd suggest you take the easy way out and just put the same configuration under the 'development' and 'production' section.

You might also want to consider running Radiant on SQLite instead of MySQL. It's not only far easier to configure, but because a SQLite database is stored as a regular file inside the db/ directory, it's also easy to move your all content from your local instance to your webserver (if your hosting company has SQLite installed, that is).

So, step by step:

1. Get SQLite running on your system, see http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/ rails/pages/HowtoUseSQLite
2. Use the following for config/database.yml

development:
  adapter: sqlite3
  database: db/production.db
test:
  adapter: sqlite3
  database: db/test.db
production:
  adapter: sqlite3
  database: db/production.db

3. Create the database structure with $ ./script/setup_database
4. Start the server with $ ./script/server

Kind regards,
Thijs

--
Fingertips - http://www.fngtps.com