Andreas,

1) The short answer is that Radiant can do whatever you like visually; it
doesn't restrict you!  So feel free to design your pages in whatever tool
you want, then break them into logical parts (focusing on structure and
reuse), then import them into Radiant.  There are a lot of different
strategies to implementing your pages in Radiant, but that would be a
book-length topic!  The typical practice is to have layouts that describe
the overall structure of pages, with various Radius tags to include pieces
of the rendered page; pages that have the actual content in multiple parts;
and snippets that are frequently reused pieces of HTML or Radius tags.

2) Look for information on the <r:navigation> tag on the wiki, weblog, and
in the source code.  While it's kind of inflexible (I'm working on a patch
for that issue), it does the job well enough in most cases.

3) The only "best practice" I can cite is to use standards-based HTML/CSS
(which nowadays means using lists for navigation menus), but that goes for
any website.

Hope this helps,

Sean Cribbs
seancribbs.com