On Feb 21, 2007, at 9:30 AM, David Minor wrote:
> maybe there is a way to do this that I'm not seeing, but I think it
> would be very useful to tell a parent what filter/layout/page type
> his children should be.  As an example of this, I have a primary
> layout that is used for the Home Page and most pages inherit from
> that.  Under the Articles (page type archive), the children should
> have a post layout instead of the primary one.  Currently I have to
> set the page layout for each post.  I'd like for a new child of the
> archive to know which layout it should use.

I'm having the same problem and have resorted to using One Layout to
Rule Them All -- merged my two or three layouts into one big layout
using if_url/unless_url -- works fine and duplication really isn't an
issue using snippets. Not the best, but darn good; some other ideas
I've had:

- I think it would be possible to have an extension create a
"Children's Default Layout:" dropdown

- Another related solution is a "shortcuts"  extension I'm working
on, which adds "New Blog Post"-like links for user-defined commonly
created page types. Each creates a new page w/ some options pre-
defined and possibly immutable, e.g. parent page, filter, default
parts, default page type, automatically created child pages

love to hear others' thoughts
-jamie