For my two cents:  I would be pleased to see a snazzy little red star or
some-such beside a page or snippet (on the list pages/list snippets)
which is currently being edited by someone else.  Maybe with the name of
the other user in a mouseover?  That way I could decide to do something
else, or check with the other user for clearance.

At the moment, Jens is "digitally restricted"  (ie. his fingers are not
allowed to click/type outside of his area) to the German pages and I
stick to the English side.  This works too.

Happy Tuesday!
N.