Just FYI,

Initially I tried dumping the whole plugin into the lib directory of the
extension, then requiring attachment_fu/init.  That didn't work. Next I
tried taking the contents of init.rb and putting it in the activate
method of the extension, which worked previously.  Still didn't work. I
also tried adding the lib directory of the attachment_fu plugin to the
$LOAD_PATH (ugly hack, I know).  Still didn't work.  In the end I had to
revert to the method I took when I was using acts_as_attachment, and
this can be used in general for any extensions that include plugins in
their lib directory.

1) Take the entire contents of the init.rb file and put it somewhere in
the activate method of your extension.
2) Export or use svn:externals to dump the contents of the plugin's lib
directory.  If there are files in the root of the plugin's lib
directory, you won't be able to use svn:externals.  I had to do this
with 'geometry.rb' from attachment_fu.
3) Et voila!

While there didn't seem to be any fundamental name-collision between
Radiant and attachment_fu, be careful that plugins you include in an
extension don't clash with the ones from other extensions.  In the
future we'll have a way to specify extension dependencies, which should
hopefully abate some issues.

Sean