Hi Sean,

This is what I have in mind for it right now.  I didn't want to propose
anything in the first email so that I wouldn't bias people :)

Given the Rails philosophy, this 'workaround' assumes a few things -
let's call it convention over configuration :D

1. I was thinking that it should be possible to maintain a list of
languages that are currently available in the system.  I'm not sure what
would be the best place for this (either the DB or YAML or config or
something) but let's not get bogged down by that yet.  So, we have a
file that has a list of languages that are supported = [TH, EN, CN, MY,
ES, JP, KR, ..]

2. Now, we ensure that every article that is created in a different
language has the same name in every language but it is in a different
'subsite' so to speak.  So, you have
   /hello_world  <- main english site (primary language)
   /es/hello_world <- Espanol
   /my/hello_world <- malay
  /../hello_world

3. When we render a page, first we extract the base name of the page
[hello_world] above.  Then, when we render the 'language bar' for a
page, we go through the list of supported languages and try to look for
  /th/hello_world, /cn/hello_world, /my/hello_world, ... and
/hello_world (for the main site)
If the find URL succeeds, we render a link for it.

4. Additionally, we could have a piece of JavaScript that checks to see
if the name that you are adding exists in another language when you add
it in - and alerts you if it does.  That gives you a visual check if 2
articles have similar names or if you expected that this is a
translation for another article and you got the name slightly wrong.

What do you think?  I have no idea what kind of performance constraint
this might impose.

That's my first thought.  Now I have to think of going about
implementing it if it seems like the way forward.

Cheers,
Mohit.
9/10/2007 | 10:08 PM.