Hello Ryan!

Welcome to Radiant on Dreamhost! To sum it up, Dreamhost's support for
Rails in general SUCKS. They run on a dynamic-count fcgi setup and they
will not do anything to help you. After 2 months of back and forth with
their support, they will not do ANYTHING to their default box setup.
'It's set up for a reason' attitude. Problem with Dreamhost is by
default they put a cap on you for 200MB RAM usage, and as soon as you
get --5-- processes running of Radiant or any slightly-heavier Rails
script up, you will git that point and their process killer will
ruthlessly start killing your processes; As well, I found if I got too
fast of traffic with them, my CPU would spike HARD (From the dynamic
fcgi launching) and it too then would kill the processes. For many
sites, a fixed 2-process fcgi setup would do well, it cuts down on
memory usage overall and you get some serious speed increases because
you're not relaunching a process over and over (As soon as one of the 5
processes die down, it kills them too, with how DreamHost is set up) - I
couldn't handle 500-600 visitors with DreamHost at all. Impossible. My
site would be down for 40-50 minutes out of every hour, just because of
apache taking a moment to respawn a ruthlessly-killed fcgi thread(s). I
couldn't imagine trying to manage them with the 1500-2200 visitors I get
daily now.

Myself? I chose to host my own system. Rather than a dedicated box, I
went for a VPS, which has been actually very rewarding, but let me tell
you, getting a Mongrel cluster set up and optimized is a headache you
may NOT want to partake in.

If you don't want to manage your own hosting (As your email seems to
point out) there are solutions, depending on the $ you're looking to
spend. There are plenty of services, but the one that pops into my head
is http://www.hostingrails.com/ - They offer cheaper fcgi (Which I
likely wouldn't touch again due to the dynamic allocation issues I had
on DreamHost), or starting at $9.79, you can go Mongrel or $13.98 and up
for Mongrel Cluster.

Just because it says 'Rails' on their features page, does NOT mean they
have any clue how to run a Rails service. It's like saying 'Free diamond
ring with any purchase!' and then giving you a plastic ring with a
diamond chip taped to it.

Anyways, hope this helps.
Andrew