I'm having a lot of problems with Passenger at Dreamhost.
This is shared hosting.

It seems that passenger ignores GEM_PATH in the environment and despite
Dreahost's suggestion at http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Passenger of putting
the path to the local repository in config/environment.rb the GEM_PATH
is still not honoured.

As a result, my gems there such as RedCloth4 cant be accessed.

I see that other things that presumably were gems at one time are in
place under /vendor/ -- bluecloth, redcloth, rubypants ..

Is it possible to 'freeze' gems like RedCloth4 there too?

--
"You may delegate authority, but not responsibility."
                        Frank's Management Rule #1.