I'm hosting a site with Passenger on Dreamhost - it's slow, but functional.
 I used Dr. Nic's Gems on Rails plugin:
http://gemsonrails.rubyforge.org/

Basically, you install Gems on Rails as a Rails plugin; install your gems in
the normal way; then use 'rake gems:freeze' to install them in vendor/gems
in your application.  Seems to work fine with Radiant/Passenger/DreamHost.

--Erik Ostrom
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]