In a similar situation, I have done the reverse: run Apache on port 80
and proxy requests to IIS running on another port. The IIS port is
protected from ouside access by firewall. Rails applications were
running on Mongrel with mod_balancer and managed with the
mongrel_service gem to make the apps spin up on reboot.
--
Istvan Hoka