BTW, if any are curious, here's what I think I know about this (sorry, forgot
to report back about the experiments):

"rake spec" or "rake spec:models" load *only* the base radiant db migrations
into the test database -- they load no extension migrations at all. This means
that if any extension modifies the base tables in its migrations, those
migrations are not loaded during this test. The only time any extension
migrations get loaded into the test db is under "rake spec:extensions" when
they do get loaded, when the tests are run for that particular extension. (This
may not be entirely correct, as I realized as I wrote the above I didn't have
any integration tests in my local tree involving reorder, and those might have
caused the reorder migrations to load.)

Since the reorder extension modifies children_find_options (replacing
'published_at' with 'position' as the default) it breaks the tests, as the
position column migration has not been loaded when the model tests are being
run. If it had simply created a position column and not altered default
behavior (merely giving you the additional option of using "by="position"') the
errors would not have appeared, and my confusion would have been less.

BTW, am I right in assuming there isn't a command to test a specific extension,
only one which tests all installed extensions at once?

Have Fun,
Arlen