On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 2:22 PM, D.Kreft <dkr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The subject pretty much says it all. Why is it necessary to have rails (and
> RedCloth, and other things in the vendor directory) bundled with radiant?
> What if I want to use a different version of Rails?
> -dan

It makes things simpler. By bundling rails, we build and test against
that version and it prevents people from changing things and reporting
errors for versions that were not taken into account with the code.
There have been several times where upgrading rails made serious
problems for the existing code so rather than debug everyone's
attempts to upgrade in forums like this, we just freeze our
dependencies.

But you can freeze radiant and remove or upgrade the bundled rails, or
you can build your own radiant gem to run locally.

This will all change with Rails 3 however.

--
Jim Gay
Saturn Flyer LLC