On 6/3/99 at 7:43 AM Mike McCauley wrote:

>Hi Ryan,
>
>On Jun 2, 11:51am, ryanm wrote:
>> Subject: (RADIATOR) Logfile size
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I am curious what size my daily logfiles will be with 10000+ logins
>> a day. I am doing some capicity planning and want to add a couple
>> disks to store logging info on. I would appreciate any average
>> sizes you have. I have looked at the entries in the detail log
>
>That logic seems quite reasonable. I have seen similar numbers elsewhere. I
>would certainly advocate compression too.

IMHO, compression has a major drawback: it make the files difficult to search in. If
you want to give your users a way to check their connection statistics online, this is
a problem. Note that even without compression, making an fgrep in a 250MB file to get
the statistics for a given login out of it can be a killer for the server, specially
of you have lots of users making statistics requests through the web. But... without
going as far as putting everything in a database (yeah, I know I can be a PITA with my
database stuff :)), there's a way to compress data and let it 'searchable': just pass
it through a filter and put everything in a more compact format (for example, change
plain text dates to a Unix timestamp, ...). I think part of this can already be done
by a proper configuration of the logging options of Radiator, but I can't advice on
that as I don't use text logging.

Stephan
** Stephan Forseilles - Operations Director
** Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
** Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
** Tel: +32 2 706 13 11 Fax: +32 2 726 93 11