Hi Jeff -

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Jeff Allen wrote:
> Do you know of any reason to get this "No Such User" message when the user
> does indeed exist in the users file?
> We get this message (all of a sudden) for about 1-3 random users a day
> (approximately 2200 names in the file) even though the users file hasn't
> been touched.  Has anyone run across this.  Usually, if you just retype the
> username/passwd back in exactly the same it corrects the problem--but what
> might the cause be??  Any ideas?  It is just a plain text password file, ie:
>
> username Password = xxxxxxxx
>
> The error message is:
>
> Mon Sep 20 11:23:47 1999: INFO: Access rejected for kat: No such user
> Mon Sep 20 11:23:53 1999: INFO: Access rejected for kat: No such user
>
> and the user cannot get authenticated.  In this case user kat is absolutely
> in the users file correctly.

The only thing I could think of is there might be "invisible" characters in the
user-name string - possibly a leading space before the user name. I
had a similar problem last week with a database query returning blank padded
fixed length fields for the password field.

Otherwise, the usual comments apply - please send us configuration files and
debug output demonstrating the problem, and we'll see what we can do.

hth