Hello Kevin -

On Wed, 03 Nov 1999, Kevin Fowler wrote:
> Hello,
>     We have multiple groups of customers authenticating out of multiple
> databases with some of the usernames being the same.  They need to be
> able to authenticate with realms and without realms.  The problem is with
> the SessionDatabase.  All of the following example username and password
> pairs need to work correctly from the same radius server:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> password1
>
> user1
> password1
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> password2
>
> user1
> password2
>
>    I accomplished this by setting up a realm for dom1.com and
> dom2.com.  They each use a different database of users.  If no realm is
> specified then I have two AuthBy clauses to attempt to authenticate off of
> each of the two databases. The AuthByPolicy is set to
> ContinueUntilAccept.  So the same username could log on with different
> passwords depending on what database they are in.
>    The authentication works great the problem is with the
> SessionDatabase.  If they authenticated with the dom1.com realm then it
> sends [EMAIL PROTECTED] to the RADONLINE table.  If they authenticate without
> a realm then it just send user1 to the table.  This stops the other user1
> from being able to log on.  What I would prefer is a way to append
> @dom1.com to the username if they are in the first database and @dom2.com
> to the username if they are in the second database.  We tried the
> RewriteUsername method but it will not work because you can't rewrite the
> username within each AuthBy clause.  We also tried having different
> SessionDatabases but again you can't specify a different SessionDatabase
> per AuthBy clause only per Realm.
>    Let me know if anyone has an idea of a better way to do this or if
> anyone had a solution to the way I am trying to do it.  Thanks in advance
> for any help.  At the bottom I have included an example of my config file.

The two solutions that I can see are:

1. If you can identify the user by the NAS they dial in to, you can set a
DefaultRealm:

# This Client is used by dom1 users

<Client ....>
        DefaultRealm dom1.com
</Client>

# This Client is used by dom2 users

<Client ....>
        DefaultRealm dom2.com
</Client>

2. Set up a PreClientHook to rewite the username prior to it being inserted in
the SessionDatabase.

In both cases, you would then only need the two specific Realm clauses.

hth