>Yes. This is because the "Group = user" check item only has
>relevance in your
>AuthBy SYSTEM clause (or AuthBy UNIX). It doesn't have any
>relevance in an
>AuthBy FILE as you have it constructed above. (I think this is
>my fault from
>the example I sent you).

Ok, that explains the behavior I was seeing.

>What are you trying to have happen? I've lost track of what your exact
>requirement is - so if you could refresh my memory I'd appreciate it.

To answer your question:
I am looking for a way to set default check-items for all users. You
suggested I use nested Authby FILE statements and add a file to contain
these(using a DEFAULT entry).  I want to set a check-item of 'Group=user'.
>From what you said I gather that this item needs to be in the file where the
'Authby=System' item is(my main USERS file).  But this is what I am trying
to avoid.()
It's no big deal. The manual doesn't really state where the 'Group=xx' is
valid, so I assumed everywhere.

So I have the answer I was looking for. Thank you.

Erik