Subject says it all.

The docs say you can specify RewriteUsername Globally, in Client clauses,
and in Realms. (It might be worth mentioning that it appears to work in
non-realm Handlers, too.)

But anyway...

I'm wondering if it can work in <AuthBy> clauses?

The reason we'd like that is as follows. We do a RewriteUsername to strip
out garbled characters before passing requests onto LDAP, since it will hang
LDAP (and sometimes Radiator :-( ). We don't know which Clients will end up
using the AuthBy LDAP, and the requests may arrive via other Handlers, too.
So the logical place to put it is in the AuthBy. Otherwise, we'll have to
make sure to specify it in each Handler, which is less than elegant.

Does this make sense?

Thanks!

Dave
NetCarrier