We found that ipMonitor better served our needs.

http://www.mediahouse.com/ipmonitor/

It does run on NT (like what's up gold), but has a nice web interface (you
can do everything from it), and has so far been very stable. There's a demo,
though, so try it yourself.

We had a choice between upgrading to the latest What's Up or switching to
this, and I think we made the right decision by changing. The dependencies
are a little wierd if you're used to What's Up, but they work quite well for
large numbers of hosts once you figure it out.

This is starting to get off topic, but feel free to contact me off-list if
you want to ask me anything.

--Doug Clements, LinkLine Communications