________________________________
From: Billy Rojas
Sent: Sunday, February 4, 2018 1:42 AM
To: Centroids: The Center of the Radical Centrist Community
Cc: Billy Rojas
Subject: Re: [RC] Defining Evil Re: Reflections on Reality

Ernie:
Fair question; I will give it a try.

But it must be said that your 3 -part 'definition' of evil mystifies me.

It is an abstraction that, as I see it, misses the character of actual evil.

I start with the treatment of evil in the Bible.  It is concrete, it is vivid,

it cites specifics, it usually makes consequences clear, and it manifestly

is not abstract.  In other words.....

Evil is destructive to human well being, it has sick motivation, that is,

you can think of evil as a terrible sickness. Evil destroys lives even if

this may not happen all at once. Evil can also be thought of as a poison,

as intention to unfairly harm others, as self centered, as unself-critical,

as indifferent to the well being of others.

Personification of evil in the form of the Devil is very useful. Evil is NOT

a matter of some sort of set of generalizations, it is specific to character,

the kind of character manifest in the 'person' of Satan.  In contemporary

or post modern terms,  evil was embodied in Hitler, Tojo, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot,

Al Capone, Richard Speck the mass murderer, more recently in Charles Manson,

in a number of mass murderers,  and including spiritually ugly homosexuals

like Andrea Dworkin and Harry Hay.

Evil is anti-nature, anti love, anti self-actualization. Hence, next to murder
itself,

homosexuality is the worst evil imaginable.

There is no excuse for evil. Evil must be expunged from society, never
accommodated

as it now is, in Hollywood films (where evil often is glorified), in
libertarian politics

(even though not everything about libertarianism is evil and some parts of

libertarian philosophy are obviously "good"), in various practices of

Wall Street, with the movie of that title exemplifying a number of forms

of evil quite graphically, as was also true of Fifty Shades of Gray.

Evil can best be thought of in terms of disease, filth, psychological
contortion,

dysfunctional actions, unjustifiable injury, callousness, greed, gluttony,

sloth, etc, the seven deadly sins.   Evil also denies the value of freedom

although about "freedom" we need to be careful inasmuch as freedom

is a wonderful proximate ideal but may be a terrible absolute ideal.

Above all we need to be very clear about what evil actually is and

not hide it beneath a welter of clinical language that may make evil seem to be

some sort of side issue not really deserving serious attention.

How should we talk about evil?  I think that the way the Apostle Paul

talked about the evil of sodomy in Romans 1: 24-32 is the very best model

to follow.  It is very clear that evil is something we must hate with

our entire being, hate it unqualifiedly, despise it, and seek its destruction.

But, of course, Jesus also hated evil.   He HATED evil, he had no use at all

for any kind of temporalizing about evil. His purpose was to destroy evil.

Matthew 11: 20-24 should make this abundantly clear. In the end, anything

like Sodom and Gomorrah must be utterly annihilated.

I mean, Ernie,  the text could not possibly be more clear.

Billy