Don't the Boom and Radio have volume curves tweaked to their use-cases
(more sensitive at the low end)? If other squeezeboxes don't use the
same curves isn't global volume control with per player offsets more
complicated? I'm not saying infeasible; I'm just wondering if an obvious
implementation that doesn't account for individual device would actually
produce the desired result across the volume range.

I wonder how iPeng implements it?

I voted for the bug but I agree that it's pretty convoluted request
that didn't even start focused on volume. Doesn't look like a good way
to track a very specific technical sync feature request IMO. UI is an
afterthought on this (versus power control, etc). Maybe that's how you
avoid per device volume issues. You don't sync the volumes of the
devices at all. Leave them as local control. Instead it is more about
on-the-fly adjustment of the baseline level of the stream. Like
replay-gain; but adjustable midstream. Way in over my head at this
point... but it seem like that would eliminate the need for the central
algorithm to care about how individual devices control volume.

-Jeff

--
jdoering