Ok, I've had SlimDevices products running nicely at home for five or six
years now. The Boom is silly expensive, as is the Radio at $200, but at
$160, I thought it could fill some specific needs. It is failing.

Here are the critical problems:

* Alarm -- fails if Internet connection not solid; backup requires
server

* Search -- How do I just get to "ZZ Top" without wheel-ing through
several thousand albums?

* Tone Controls -- it sounds like a boom-box with flabby bass, no
midrange, and softened treble.

I understand the alarm is a known issue, but that Logi isn't doing
squat until they get their faux iTouch out. Any good workarounds?

The lack of search, is just stupid, especially if you pull in your
iTunes. Not that the iTunes "integration" is any great shakes, but we
literally have thousands of albums. No search for radio stations as well
makes this a non-starter.

Tonal balance has been completely mainstreamed with overblown bass. The
UI shows an equalizer, but you get the same transition effects and
volume adjustment schemes, not any real tone controls.

I'm pissed that you are basically forced to sigh up with Logi's servers
and that the thing "phones home" without your permission on power up.
I'll deal with another bit of Logitech spyware, but a privacy
(intrusion) policy would have been nice.

I have no problem ssh-ing into the thing if that lets me do something
to resolve the problems. Any plug-ins to fix these things?

Any word on alternate firmware? maybe we just cannibalize these things
the same way we do WRT54G routers?

--
jef