Was being happy too soon.  As usual, things aren't that easy.  Do not
replace the FreeSans.ttf font with unicode font.

If you replace the FreeSans.ttf font with unicode font, the time module
will not get time updates from the squeezeboxserver and change time zone
function will not respond at all.  Apparently, a double byte font will
cause the internet time function to stop responding.

So, right now I just replaced the FreeSansBold.ttf font.  Everything
works fine.  Just that one only gets the international characters
displayed correctly in big headings, not the second smaller line.

--
Honva