eap,

You are just way out in left (right?) field with this one.  99% of the
computers made in the last few years have energy settings that put them
into a hibernate mode after a few minutes of inactivity.

My iMac hibernates perfectly and when hibernating uses about 3W of
power.  It takes only a few seconds to wake up so I'm not in any way
being hobbled by not having it up and running 24/7.

Even though it's an efficient machine, it still uses about 40W of power
when it's "on" (with display off) vs hibernating.

So, keeping it on for an extra 16 hours a day would consume roughly
.5kW per year or about 150 killowatts per year.

This is not a trivial amount of power.

Multiply this by 1M homes that currently do NOT keep their PC on 24/7
and you can see that this is a huge increase of WASTED energy for the
application of an ALARM CLOCK!!

There is no defensible reason that you need a PC on 24/7 for alarms to
work on the SB Radio.  Logitech is more than capable of modifying the
software so that the SB Radio takes its time from NTP (so that it is
always accurate) and stores all alarm events completely LOCALLY with no
interaction from SB Server or My Squeeze servers.

--
jmpage2