davenva;523261 Wrote:
> erland,
>
> The subject of "average users" is interesting, and certainly most
> relevant to the potential success of squeezebox as a product line.
>
> I agree that this forum attracts perhaps the most demanding users of
> the product.  Today this group likely makes up a larger percentage of
> the customer base than it would if/when the product was to become a
> general consumer product, vs. a geek toy.
>
> The market potential question fascinates me, as a business owner
> myself.  I've got a small sample of general consumer usage, based upon
> having given 4 SB Radios as Christmas gifts, and am surprised to what
> I've observed. (It would be interesting if Logitech did a real survey of
> usage!)
>
> My 4 sample users:
>
> A 20-something college student, who uses the radio entirely to listen
> to Pandora. It serves as a "Pandora Player" in his apartment.  Very
> happy with the radio.
>
> A 50-something sports fan who mastered the internet radio search, and
> uses it almost exclusively to find and listen to US-wide sports
> broadcasts not otherwise available on local over-the-air radio. It has
> opened up to him a new and appreciated way to follow sports broadcasts.
> Very happy with the radio.
>
> A 40-something couple, who use it very infrequently, and only as a
> radio. They seem to have set & rely on presets for local stations.
> Looks to them like a standard radio with very good reception. Not all
> that impressed.
>
> A 40 something who uses it as a bedside radio, listening to one local
> station.  Reports to have "never gotten the alarms to work".  "Likes the
> nice clear clock display screen". Seems to me to be a waste of
> technology & money here.

I agree with your comments.  But just so all 40 somethings aren't
disparaged, I'm 47 and my wife turns 40 this year.  We use SB radio as
our daily alarm clock (usually waking up to Sirius Satellite, Howard
Stern), we entertain our 5 year old son in our room with songs from our
music collection (he loves the Who, particularly "Baba O'Riley").  Have
presets from Pandora, to local radio Internet streams and the grateful
dead channel on Sirius.

We also have a duet in the family room and dining room that we listen
to almost all weekend.  Switching from acoustic cafe stations in the
morning to rock and opera while eating dinner.

Of course, without my computer skills, my wife wouldn't have a clue how
to set it up.

--
eap