I have been successful using the Radio as an alarm clock.  As iPhone
states, the setup is important.  I had alarm problems early on when I
was using "sound effects" which actually come from mysqueezebox.com.
When I set my alarm sound to an mp3 which is on my local server, which
runs 24/7, my reliability was fixed - I haven't had an alarm not work
since.  There are still some alarm bugs, however, which are talked
about in other threads.
As far as display, I am running "custom clock" screensaver/applet, and
created a display I use when "off" which is dominated by a large
digital clock so I can easily read it at night when I'm not wearing my
glasses.  That coupled with improvements in the v7.5.0 software which
allows a minimum brightness to be set makes it pretty ideal for my use.
When the alarm actually fires, however, the popup only has a pretty
small clock, but I actually don't look at the Radio most times in that
case - I know by "feel" the power button to turn off the alarm, or the
volume button which when pushed is the "snooze" button.

--
tcutting