usch;532915 Wrote:
> I am seriously tempted to buy a Radio only to hack it and prove that it
> could do entirely without MySB.com. But it doesn't surprise me a bit
> that if a hardware manufacturer offers an online service, they will
> make every attempt to force you to use it.

:)

That's one of the reasons I haven't taken it back yet, I've got half a
feeling that in a month or so, there's going to be a way of making it
work how it really should work.

And if there is, it'll be worth every penny.  Or Euro, or Dollar or
whatever...

I appreciate all the points you've made, and I daresay you're dead
right, but I still feel not only misled, but intentionally misled.

I know a *bit* about how computers work, and how streaming works and
all that carry on, and maybe I was being naive, but even having read
the links you posted there, I still don't see why it's so utterly
dependent on logitech's servers.

I get why it'd be reliant on them to stream music from Logitech, or
their business partners.

But the BBC streams are accessible by any PC capable of playing music.
They don't need to be harnessed by streambox.com, given a polish and
then sent to a device.  It doesn't make sense (to me).

Maybe I've got too much of an emotional attachment to radio, when I was
ten I made a radio out of bits of wire and a resistor and an earphone.

I shouldn't have to sit there configuring two devices so that I can
listen to it.  I should be able to turn it on, select the station and
listen.

--
Wykey