Well I thought of a couple of possible solutions.

Either, download the mp3 using a podcast downloader, and rename it to a
generic file name and have this file added to a generic playlist.

Squeezebox can do this (play a specific file in a playlist) but I can't
find a way to download and rename a file automatically using any podcast
software I've come across.

Or, download the mp3 using a podcast downloader, place it on to a
folder, and then play this entire folder as a playlist.  This could be
done using any decent podcast software.  Unfortunately, squeezebox
doesn't seem to support playing folders within a playlist m3u file.
Unless anyone can tell me different?

--
jamesking