I have now successfully rolled back to FW 7.4.1 after installing
squeezebox server (thanks for the help, Toby!).

The internet streams are MUCH more stable, though there is still an
occasional drop-out within the first 30 seconds of play.

The alarm is still buggy - comes on then stops almost immediately, but
thankfully it no longer goes to that busy disco loop.

Here's an issue I haven't seen mentioned: under 7.4, the auto-dimmer
works perfectly in a dark room, but the display also lights back up
slightly when you use the controls (i.e. change the station, set the
sleep function, etc). Then about 30 seconds after your last adjustment
it dims again.

This was an EXTREMELY useful feature. Under 7.5, once the screen dims
it stays dim and you really can't see what you're doing. I have
literally had to turn a lamp back on in the room just to operate the
radio.

Has anyone else noticed this loss of functionality?

--
frb63