peterw;550468 Wrote:
> Stop. Just stop. Plenty of people have plenty of reasons (noise, energy,
> WAF, cost of electricity, etc.) not to run a server 24x7, so just stop,
> OK?

I think the "reasons" are overstated and not well-thought out (not to
mention people being scared by the word "server" -- hence I prefer to
call it running an application on your home computer):

1.  Noise: I have a large desktop PC. Its fans are not audible above
ambient background sounds from more than a foot or so away.  Most
modern computers are not particularly noisy anymore.

2.  Energy/cost of electricity: As explained, these costs are typically
minimal as long as a monitor is set to "sleep" after a period of
inactivity.  It is not more green to have people using mysb
exclusively, thus requiring logitech to expand its energy use for a
commercial data center;

3.  WAF:  For the reasons above, WAF should not be a factor -- divorce
is an option too ;)

--
eap