I have "programmed" my mute button to control sleep mode when I press
and hold it. At first, I had the same question you have.

Here is what is happening "behind the scenes".

If you use the menus to set the sleep function and you do it when there
is a song playing, you will notice that the first option is "sleep at
end of current song" the second option is sleep at 15 minutes, the next
is 30 minutes, etc, until you get to 90 minutes.

If you use the alternative (button press that you've programmed) and
you press that button while a song is playing, the radio will set
itself to sleep at the end of the song (the first option in the menu
driven option). The fact is, if you press it again, it will change to
15 minutes. Press it again and you get to 30, etc. until you finally
get to 90. One more press and the sleep function will turn off. The
only issue is that the additional presses after the first, do not
provide you with a message to tell you that the next option has been
selected.

You can test this behavior. Press it three times. The first time it
will say "sleeping at end of song". The second press gives no message
and likewise, the third press gives no message.  In fact, at that
point, the radio is set to sleep in 30 minutes. You can check it by at
that point, going into the menus and going to the sleep menu and you'll
see that it is set to 30.

Let me know if I've confused you.

--
ciarmer