Can't comment on all your questions but

- is it load enough to say fill a bedroom or a kitchen (I don't mean
party levels, just normal radio listening)?

Definitely - I have mine in the kitchen and even on 75% volume it is
louder than I ever need it. 100% volume is "ouch my ears" territory.
The sound quality is very very good for saying it is only mono and a
smallish speaker

- is it really as hard as people say to get working or is that because
the SBR is their first bit of squeeze kit?

No - it's pretty easy - if you are not using it wireless (ie you said
it would be directly cabled) then you will have no problems at all. The
only issues I had were around the wireless router DHCP. It didn't seem
to like multiple devices around the house (Wii, Ipod Touch etc) nicking
it's IP address, so I set it as static and never had any more issues

- does anyone know why the price has dropped in the UK recently, are
Logitech bringing out a new model?

Has it dropped? I bought mine from Amazon in January and it was the
same price then as it is now (£114)

Bear in mind that most of the posts on here are from people with
problems - there are many many thousands more users who have no issues
at all and no need to post anything

I love my SBR - best bit of tech kit I've bought all year

PS I don't use the alarm :)

--
stevedresden