aubuti;606968 Wrote:
> I probably underestimated DSL coverage in the US (and therefore DSL vs
> cable competition) in my earlier post, because I don't even think about
> DSL any more. In our area it's all cable and fiber optic. Verizon
> probably still offers DSL, but I don't know anyone who uses it. Even
> so, 2-3 oligopolistic providers hardly makes for robust competition.

The Wash DC area is cursed with some of the worst utilities anywhere. I
think the phone company, Verizon, is the successor to GTE, which for the
past 30 years has continued its reputation as America's consistently
worst phone service provider. The former Bells historically have been
better, but there's no choice, it just varies by area.

The cable/DSL split is about 50-50 among the people I know. Cable is
more expensive but faster. Netflix is the most speed demanding thing I
do, and my DSL connection handles its highest quality stream easily.

--
Goodsounds