A battery isn't likely to help your problem. When the Radio is on
battery power and is idle it will hard power off by itself after 20(?)
minutes to save the battery from draining completely. When the Radio is
in soft power off (standby) it's never disconnected from the network.

I just pulled the battery out of mine and did a couple of hard power
offs, and even pulled the plug. It always comes back up connected to
the network (there are other wifi networks around) and displays the
Home menu.

Is the network that the Radio connects to password protected? I could
maybe see that if it's not, then it might not automatically reconnect
and would instead prompt you.

--
JJZolx