toby10;667724 Wrote:
> I'd guess you either have a bad unit or a very flaky network.
>
> Some very basic WiFi tweaks (1-5 require admin access to your router to
> try these simple changes):
> 1.  use a unique SSID name (name of your network/router)
> 2.  if using a G WiFi:  set WiFi to G only (turns off a & b modes)
> 3.  if using an N WiFi: set to G Compatibility mode (if using G
> devices)
> 4.  change the broadcast channel to the least used channel near you
> 5.  choose only channels 1 or 6 or 11 (or 13 if available)
> 6.  router and WiFi antenna orientation adjustments can help signal
> strength
> 7.  keep router away from other electronic devices (cordless phones,
> ISP modem, computers)
> 8.  reboot WiFi router every once in a while (once a month is usually
> sufficient)
>
> If your WiFi network card software already gives the ch numbers and the
> signal strength of all nearby networks, that's all you need.  But there
> are free programs like NetStumbler if needed.

OK, I've had a few days to play with the network, and it looks like I
just MAY have it working. The keys were steps 2 and 3. When you sent
your tips I was still using the old wireless router (an 8 year old
Apple Airport Base Station, can you see why I wanted a newer router?).
I logged into it and found that it had somehow reset itself to mixed
network mode. I had at one point set it to G-only as this was the only
way that my Chumby One (which the Squeezebox Radio is a major upgrade
from) would connect at all. I set it to G-only, and had no drop-offs
for a few days. The only issue was that that weird funky music default
alarm would sound for a few seconds before my chosen alarm sound kicked
in on a couple of mornings. But I'm going to guess that may have been a
delay on the server side as it did play the alarm after a few seconds
and played it without the delay when the snooze timer ran out. So since
that seemed to work, tonight I setup the Linksys, disabled the 5.4 Ghz
band, set the 2.4 Ghz. band to G-only on channel 11, and crossed my
fingers. I'm sitting by the Radio now, it's showing full signal
strength, and has for about 30 minutes. Playing consistently with no
dropoffs. I'll report back in a few more days, but previously it would
have lost its connection by now, so I'm hopeful that this is fixed.
Thanks for your quick response and advice toby10. Fingers crossed, I
probably shouldn't have experimented tonight since I have to count on
the alarm to wake me up in the morning, but I feel lucky. :-)

--
nashtr