Hi

I have just bought a Radio for my mother. Unfortunately she is on the
point of rejecting it due to the preset buttons' behaviour being very
unpredictable compared to presets on a conventional radio. Her simple
requirement is for pressing a preset to play a radio station.

Specifically she has found that presets for radio stations are
unreliable (sometimes they are lost altogether) or she has to fiddle
about with various menu settings in order to get them to work again (or
else she has to navigate to the station manually). All of this is
severely denting the otherwise useful features that the Radio offers.

She has LMS on a PC which goes to sleep after some time (or else is
shut down at night). I've read a few threads and it seems to be a
common problem.
One issue seems to be that the presets are apparently stored on both
LMS and mysqueezebox.com. The documentation does not mention this.

So I thought I could cover all eventualities by storing the same
presets on both services. I did this by storing them while 1) LMS is
selected as the music library and 2) while MSB.com is selected. I also
made switching to MSB.com a home menu option. Unfortunately it seems
that this still does not result in a simple user experience.

Examples:

If the radio was previously connected to LMS and the LMS PC is now
asleep or off, then selecting a preset results in a LMS Problem
Connecting error. It prompts to switch libraries, but doing this only
results in yet another Problem Connecting error. :-(
Recovery involves manually navigating to the option to switch to
MSB.com.

If the radio is playing a radio station and it was previously connected
to LMS, and now the PC is asleep or off, then merely changing vol level
results in another "Problem Connecting" error, with the same tortuous
unintuitive navigation to resolve the issue.

I can appreciate that it is really a pain to have to keep switching to
MSB.com every time there is an error or even by pre-empting it by
selecting MSB.com before using the radio at all.

Considering the way that this is all apparently operating, as a general
principle it just strikes me as very odd to store effectively the same
information across multiple remote resources whose availability varies,
and also to lack any effective failover between them, either automatic
or prompted.

One option that makes much more sense to me is to store the presets
locally on the radio. Does anyone know what the reasons are for the
current system? It seems a shame to spoil the user experience by
varying so much from the established preset operation of a "normal
radio".

--
mr-b