OTOH this simplifies playing music from different servers: if you run
multiple UEML instances in your network, you would see all of them when
entering the My Music menu. Just browse one of them, add tracks. Go back
to the other server, add more tracks etc. Mixed playlists without
"switching" servers.

I like that. Reduces one big problem that new users typically have
users.

IMHO it's one of the key improvements for many users indeed. But it's not for me :-)

- is there still an option to sync devices?

Yes, but only within the Smart Radio family.

- will firmware and the server code keep OpenSource or did you switch to
closed source now?

I think we can't (thanks to the licensing schema we have been using in the past). I'm no expert in this topic, but it was part of Ben's pushing to change the license of the SP code a while back.

--

Michael