As I mentioned, in the past I worked for more than one electronics and
manufacturing firm and was Bill of Materials supervisor, even. I can fix
the pin out of connectors and I can do nearly anything, but now it has
to be more "at the consumer level." I never had a "hobbyist" shop
because I had the real shop, at work.

The "ticking" symptom seems diagnostic to me, and i see a couple of
other people describe the same issue: won't power up, is ticking.

Since I can't guarantee the shop that part is what will make this work,
I suspect they won't follow up at all. I have a bet going locally that I
will never hear from that shop, again.