MPO wrote:
> Ok, clear thanks.
> Need to collect some courage before starting the serial quest.
>
> What about changing the rotary encoder of the central knob? Probably a
> no go as it soldered in detail to the mainboard...

I personally have no idea, because I have no idea what's afoot, and I've
never tinkered inside. Some on this forum will have done, though.

My very tentative speculation was that communication with the MSP430
might have become a casualty of a catastrophe that also took down the
power supply. But that could be way off track, far too speculative at
this point, really.

But it is why my first port of call would be the UART, "calm" the
watchdog, which would require some study of the source code, and then
seeing what the logs show.

There again, perhaps a physical examination of the innards should be my
first port of call. Perhaps not so much courage required there, unless
you share in my ham fistedness.