MPO wrote:
> One question remaining: can you show me a picture of the othet side of
> the cable/ the usb interface connection and the type?
> thanks!

No, because my current set up won't match what you have/will have.

Key points are that the Rx & Tx lines use 3.3V logic level, so you must
be sure that your USB interface also uses 3.3V logic level, and not 5V
as many do/did. I also see that many USB interfaces currently available
will also supply a 3.3V or 5V power line as well as GND,Tx,Rx. Do NOT be
tempted to connect that to the Radio's 3.3V power line (which shows in
my picture), that way lies the potential for trouble. You don't want TWO
providers of power on the Radio's 3.3V power line.

Check and double check all connections and voltages before you start.

People must be doing this with Raspberry Pi boards, so there will be be
plenty of knowledge out there.

FTDI based adapters seem to be well supported, but it will depend on
your host OS.

Baud rate is 115200, and I did not concern myself with other serial
communication settings (stty), it just worked (or worked well enough not
to need tweaking).

The only reason you want to do this is that you have no other way of
identifying and addressing the problem. It would be a pity if it proves
to be due to an issue with ethernet or wifi connectivity, and resolvable
in another way.