Hi folks,

My name is Ryan and I'm new here, although I'm not a new Squeebox user.
I thought I used to have an account here, but can't find the details, so
maybe I've always been an occasional lurker.  Anyway, I have a classic
v3 device from pre-Logitech days and two Radios.

For a while now, I've been having problems with my Radios dropping off
the WiFi after a short time. My v5 Radio hardware lasts longer than the
v7 Radio, which often drops off about 20 mins. My Squeezbox classic is
rock solid and never loses WiFi. Both are running v7.7.3 r16676
software, which I think is the latest Radio release.

As a Linux/OpenEmbeddded developer, I thought I'd join in and see if I
could debug the issue somehow, even though WiFi isn't really my area. So
I've ended up here!

I assume there's a serial port on the Radio somewhere, but I've not
found a resource about that so far. If anyone has pointers to info on
how to open it up and get access without needing a network connection,
I'd appreciate it.

naguirre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i successfully build and upgrade firmware of squeezebox radio, by
> building >
Code:
--------------------
--------------------
> >  reposiory.
> I used Ubuntu 12.04 otherwise I got a lot of errors related to https
> and old cypher suite with openssl of ubuntu 10.04 (OMG it was 10 years
> ago !)
> I had to fix few errors during the build :
> * squeezeplay-baby recipe  was not found
> * I got errors during opkg native build so i added few more patches.
> * A lot of tarballs were not found, so i find theme and directly
> downloaded theml in sources directory.
>
> Setting up an ubuntu 10.04 is not so easy these days, so i setup a
> Docker for it. You can find it here with few more fixes.

Code:
--------------------
  >   > https://github.com/naguirre/squeezeos/tree/dev/nae/docker
--------------------

> I agree that it's not really interresting for now to be able to flash
> our own firmware, but well it was a lot of fun :-)

That's a really good idea, Nicolas. I've pulled your branch, rebased it
to Ralph's latest 7.8. It looks like the Radio is known as "baby", so I
added a patch for local.conf.sample to set MACHINE = "baby" to make my
life easier.

https://github.com/omnium21/squeezeos/tree/baby-7.8-docker

I attempted to build in your docker container. It manages to build quite
a bit, but then fails at ALSA (alsa-utils-1.0.18/alsamixer). I tried
building just your docker branch, and it fails the same way, so it's
maybe not a problem with my rebase.

There are the steps I followed after cloning and rebasing:

cd docker
./build_and_run.sh
su - squeezeos
cd poky
source ./poky-init-build-env
bitbake squeezeos-image

And the error I'm getting:

| arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc -march=armv5te -mtune=arm926ej-s
-mthumb-interwork -mno-thumb
--sysroot=/home/squeezeos/poky/build/tmp-jive/staging/armv5te-none-linux-gnueabi
-DCURSESINC="<ncurses.h>" -fexpensive-optimizations -fomit-frame-pointer
-frename-registers -O2 -ggdb -feliminate-unused-debug-types  -Wl,-O1 -o
alsamixer alsamixer.o -lncurses -ltinfo -lasound -lm -ldl -lpthread

/home/squeezeos/poky/build/tmp-jive/cross/armv5te/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/4.4.1/../../../../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld:
cannot find -ltinfo
| collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
| make[1]: *** [alsamixer] Error 1
| make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/squeezeos/poky/build/tmp-jive/work/armv5te-none-linux-gnueabi/alsa-utils-1.0.18-r0/alsa-utils-1.0.18/alsamixer'

Anyone have any advice about this before I try and debug it? I'm
guessing neither Nicolas nor Ralph are having the problem when they
build, but perhaps there's a dependency not installed by the docker
container?